Institution Prior Aspects
Historical Aspects of the Institute
Prior to the Independence of our country for the treatment of TUBERCULOSIS the dreaded disease, the Then Maharaja of Mysore accorded sanction for the establishment of Tuberculosis Sanatorium during 1944 and allotted the 90 acres of vast land at Byrasandra and Siddapur villages of Uttarhalli Hobli of Bangalore South Taluk.
At that time, Late Sri Devarao Shivaram, a Business Magnet of Bangalore City came forward to pay Rs.1, 00,000=00 as donation for the construction of Hospital in the name of his beloved wife Smt.Shanthabai. The foundation stone was laid by the then Maharaja of Mysore Sri Jayachamarajendra Wodeyar on 11th December 1944.
It was completed and declared open to the General Public by the then Maharaja of Mysore Sri.Jayachamrajendra Wodyer on 30th January 1948 with a bed capacity of 50. This Hospital was named as Smt.Shanthabai Devarao Shivaram Tuberculosis Sanatorium.
During 1957 this hospital was attached to Bangalore Medical College, Bangalore as a Teaching Hospital to impart training to Under-Graduate and Post-Graduate students in the Department of Tuberculosis and Chest Diseases and Department of Cardio-Thoracic Surgery and it was renamed as SDS TUBERCULOSIS AND CHEST DISEASES HOSPITAL.
To improve the facilities for Non Tubercular Chest Diseases including Chest Trauma cases a separate building was sanctioned and Government has renamed it as SDS Tuberculosis and Rajiv Gandhi Institute of Chest Diseases vide order No. HFW 46 MSF 1998, Bangalore dated 24-09-1998. Further to improve the facilities and impart teaching and training programme and Research activities Government of Karnataka has accorded autonomous status vide GO.No. HFW 70 MSF 2008, Bangalore, Dated 18-05-2009.